Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Toothache

Well, today's been a LONG day. Yesterday my tooth was bothering me a little bit. I just chalked it up to a tiny toothache and figured it would go away. Well it didn't. In fact, last night I was in excruciating pain for about 4 straight hours. I couldn't sleep at all. I took a tylenol with codeine when it really started bothering me. Usually that will knock any pain in my body out, as well as put me to sleep. After two hours of getting no relief from the pain, I consulted Henderson. Since he's taking a pharmacology class I figured he'd know! He said I could take another one. I finally was able to go to sleep!

This morning I called Henderson's dentist to schedule an emergency appointment for this afternoon. My dentist is in Canton, and I couldn't get away for that long. The intensity of the pain was kinda coming and going. When I got to the dentist, it wasn't so bad, but I knew it could come back at any time.

So, here's a little back story on this tooth and what I told the dentist this afternoon. A couple of years ago, I had a cavity filled. I went back for my 6-month checkup and he told me that my filling was messed up and there was even more decay. He told me he'd do another filling for free, but I might have to have a root canal because of the extra decay. Well, he didn't feel the need for a root canal so I just got the filling. After this, I decided to go to the dentist I went to as a little kid in Canton. She told me the the filling was extremely close to the nerve in my tooth. She said that if the tooth ever got heat sensitive or started bothering me to come in as soon as possible. So, that's where we are.

The dentist today told me that that was what had happened and because of that I had some infection above the tooth. So, he wrote a prescription for an antibiotic and we made an appointment to have the root canal tomorrow afternoon.

I was just getting used to the idea of having to pay the part of the bill my insurance wouldn't pay. I went to Walgreens and waited on my prescriptions, and I called my mom and Henderson to tell them the story. After I got off the phone with Henderson, I noticed I had a voicemail. It was from the dentist's office. With bad news.

Apparently, my dental insurance has a VERY small cap on it. Since I had my wisdom teeth removed in May, I had already used up ALL my benefits. We can't afford a root canal and the crown, so for right now I'm toughing it out with some very powerful pain pills.

Get ready for the complaining because we all know that my pain tolerance is extremely low!!

So, that was my wonderful hump day. I hope that you all had a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment