Saturday, April 2, 2011

My Inspiration

I don't know why this is showing up as one large paragraph. I did seperate it into about four or five paragraphs, but it's not showing up that way. Sorry for any difficulty reading it! For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to own my own business. I think it might have started around the age of 5 when I started running the cash register at my dad's convenience store. It was a tiny little rush, even then, to hear the cash register ring! I actually managed one of my dad's restaurants during the summer of 2006 and it firmly cemented my dream of one day owning my own business. I enjoyed interacting with customers and employees, and making big decisions. (Actually, I didn't make any decisions, but you get the idea!) I enjoyed being my own boss for the most part and learning the business, like when we should stock up on certain things and when we could place a small order. It also taught me a lot about dealing with people, whether they were unruly customers or undependable employees. When I woke up every morning I was excited about heading to work. And I think that came with knowing that I was responsible for the restaurant for the day; and writing checks out of someone else's account wasn't too shabby either! I decided to major in accounting because I knew it was a great field (I had a job offer a year and a half before I graduated even though the economy wasn't so great) and also because I felt like I could do anything with an accounting degree. I could work in public accounting, in industry, in a family business, or just use my skills to budget my own family's finances. The possibilities are endless! (I'm not actually advocating that everyone should get an accounting degree; do what you love!) In my current job as an auditor with a big four public accounting firm, I'm getting TONS of experience with different types of companies. And I'm loving it! (The five weeks of vacation isn't too bad either!) But anyway, back to the point, owning my own business. For a while in high school and college I wanted to own a business with a clothing boutique on one side and a prom dress shop on the other. But, I don't actually like shopping in clothing boutiques. I don't like spending money on clothes, so how would I be able to sell it to someone else? So, about four years ago I decided I eventually wanted to open a gift shop. Because I love stuff! I could spend hours in gift stores with their pretty wrapping paper and good smelling candles. Keep in mind this is just a dream and if it does become a reality, it probably wouldn't be for another 15 years. Anyway, there's the absolute cutest gift shop in Starkville that has always been somewhat of an inspiration. The Purple Elephant has two stores: on in Starkvegas and another in Columbus. They carry Hobo, Peter's Pottery, Tyler Candles, MS State stuff, jewelry and much, much more. They recently moved (just next door) into a much bigger area and today I made Henderson take me there. Because I knew he was in the truck I only stayed for 20 minutes, but I could've just hung out for hours! So, if you're heading to Starkville anytime soon (SBW is next weekend!!), you should definetly stop in. And if you know of any gift shops in the state you think I'd like, let me know! I love perusing the aisles a pretty gift boutique!

No comments:

Post a Comment