Sunday, April 10, 2011

31 Days

I've often heard that it takes 28 days to make/break a habit. I decided around the time of lent to give up cokes. I know, I know. How many times have you heard this before? I'm not Catholic; in fact, I'm Baptist but when all of my Facebook friends were giving something up I decided I wanted to, too. This was probably not the best time to give up cokes. For the past four weeks I've been working at a client that has free fountain drinks. ALL. DAY. LONG. On average I've been drinking one Diet Dr. Pepper a day and the rest water. When I got sick in Nashville, I wasn't able to drink Diet DP for about a week so I started drinking Gatorade/Powerade. Keep in mind Diet DP and Gatorade are no Coca-Cola. The day that this resolution is the hardest is Saturdays. Saturdays are my days to do what I want. What I want is to drink a Coke. So yesterday, day 31, I broke down. I decided that I am an adult. If I really want a Coke, I should be able to drink one and not become addicted all over again. It had been a long day at SBW and nothing was quenching my thirst. After the spring football game, we went to Sonic and I got a large Coca-Cola. Gotta say, it wasn't as great as I was expecting. I immediately felt guilty, but tomorrow's a new day. At the beginning of this I wanted to go a whole year without Coca-Cola. Obviously that's not going to happen. But, it's not my crutch any more; and for that I am extremely proud of myself. And if I genuinely want one on a random Saturday, I'm going to drink one. I make my own decisions. I'll just have to make sure I don't eat dessert that day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment