Monday, August 2, 2010

Paula's Cheese Biscuits


The other day I met my dad for lunch at Mint in Ridgeland. The best part of the meal: the cheese biscuits. Ever since then I've been craving some, so I decided to make my own. Here's Paula Deen's recipe from Food Network.

You'll need:

2 cups self-rising flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon sugar

1/3 cup shortening

3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar

1 cup buttermilk

Salt

1/4 stick butter, melted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, to taste, and sugar together using a fork; cut in shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Add cheese. Sir in buttermilk all at one time just until blended. Do not over stir.

Drop by tablespoonfuls, or use an ice cream scoop, onto a well-greased baking sheet. Brush dough with melted butter. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

A couple of tips from me: Mimi taught me to always let your cheese sit out after you shred it. I let mine sit out for over 2 hours. It makes it easier to work with and the final product is creamier. These biscuits never turned brown on top. You just have to test them after 12-15 minutes. I wasn't a huge fan of these, mainly because with they were drop-type. They were way too crispy on the bottom (tasted like Mimi's cheese crisps). Next time, I'll try to make the drops a little more round. But they are definitely worth making! We had them at 4 different meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment