So, I've moved back home for the summer. The last time I lived here was five years ago, the summer before my freshman year at State. I've gotta say it's working beautifully. It took a little while to get used to (for all of us). I haven't had to tell anyone what I'm doing or where I'm going for 5 years, nor have I had to share the remote (I think that may be the hardest part!).
There were several things I missed while I was living in the "Big City" aka apartment complex in Starkville. One thing was being able to go to my car in my pajamas; another was having neighbors unexpectedly stop by for a chat about anything and everything. I definitely missed living in the "Compound" as we affectionately call it. I have really enjoyed hanging out with family again and eating nutritious meals everyday!
Dixon loves being in the country and hanging out with all his dog friends and the cats. And I love impromptu tomato sandwich suppers with Mawmaw, rolling on the floor laughing with my mom and sister, and not having internet access (this way I can't get distracted!)
So, with that, here's one thing I haven't enjoyed. We seem to have an opossum problem here in Greensboro, and my mom's dog Bear is the neighborhood opossum killer. We are so proud of him and very happy that he has taken care of this horrible problem. However, I really, really wish that the other neighborhood dogs would start chipping in. I mean, they're acting like wimps. Our poor dog has to take care of all of these rodens and then leaves them in our front yard to show what a good job he's doing! (He's always been a good neighborhood watchdog. He's taken care of two snakes as well as this opossum problem.) I kinda wish he would start showing the other neighbors how good he is at his job by dropping off the opossum in their front yard; that would be a great way to let the neighborhood know what an amazing dog he is!
So, one minute I'm cleaning up a dead rodent and the next I go to the shop to see some new baby kittens! By the way, I hate cats! But kittens are adorable! And they really wanted to play with me; their mama just wouldn't let it happen.
Of course, these are all memories of my last summer break and the last summer I'll get to spend with my mom and sister. I'm definitely going to miss the neighborhood and my family; I just won't miss the opossums.



No comments:
Post a Comment