Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cinco de Mayo celebration!

Last night I was in a cooking mood, so I decided to make a couple of Mexican dishes in honor of Cinco de Mayo! I ended up making Chicken Enchiladas, Mexican corn, and my grandmother's world-famous Mexican Cornbread! All three of these were brand new recipes for me, so I was extremely proud that they all came out tasting great and they were all done at the same time! I'll share the enchiladas and corn recipes some other time, but right now I want to talk about this crumbly and hot cornbread!

It's actually my great-grandmother's recipe and my dad uses it in his restaurant. His Mexican cornbread is topped with a tomato cheese sauce and 4 grilled shrimp; it's one of the most popular appetizers at the restaurant! His recipe is a little different so that the cornbread doesn't crumble under the sauce and shrimp. Since I don't have a cast-iron skillet, I got Henderson to bring over his large one. It did stick, but he said that you're supposed to have a skillet just for making cornbread and this skillet wasn't it. It was so much fun to recreate this recipe just because I remember eating it all the time growing up. And I'm pretty sure Henderson loved it!

Here's the recipe:

1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1 can cream style corn
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup bacon drippings (I didn't use this last night because, well that would require making bacon!)
2 eggs
1/2 lb. cheese, grated
5-6 jalapenos chopped

Mix together everything but cheese and jalapenos. Pour half of mixture into hot skillet, put 1/2 of the cheese on top. Add 1/2 of the jalapenos. Then put rest of mix on top, then rest of jalapenos, and finally the rest of the cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Bailey, That looks awesome! I love learning to cook! Glad I found your blog! Congrats on graduating!!

    ReplyDelete